Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sarcastic/friendly joke turns into an educational ride!

One night while I was on the Skytrain going to meet a friend, a man walked on at one station carrying a guitar case and what appeared at first glance to be an amp. He sat next to me.

"Let me guess," I said. "You play drums?" I smiled/smirked at him in a friendly way.

I expected him to laugh, but instead he answered, in complete seriousness, "Yes, sometimes. Usually the guitar, but sometimes I play this." He spoke with a thick South American accent, and pointed at the wooden box he had in front of him.

Turns out it was a Peruvian drum, called the cajón.

It was very nicely made, kind of looks like a kleenex box if you turn it with the hole on top. He told me that you play it by tapping/hitting the front face of it, akin to a bongo drum, and the sound comes out the hole on the opposite side.

You learn something new every day!

4 comments:

Leslie: said...

That looks quite intriguing - you never know who you might meet on public transport. I should try it sometime! ;D

MedStudentWife said...

You know, it also happens to me. I tend to have the best & most fascinating conversations with total strangers .. busing it is great are great that way :)

Leslie: said...

Everyone is waiting on pins and needles for your next post. You're such a good writer!

heiresschild said...

how interesting! i love learning new things.