Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day


Once upon a time, there was a child ready to be born. The child asked God, "Others tell me you're sending me to earth today, but how am I going to live there being so small and helpless?" God replied "Among the many angels, I chose one for you. Your angel will be waiting for you and will take care of you."

The child further inquired "But here in heaven I don’t have to do anything but sing and smile to be happy." God said, "Your angel will sing for you and will also smile for you everyday. You will feel your angel’s love and be very happy."

Again the child asked "How am I going to understand when people talk to me if I don’t know the language?" God said, "Your angel will tell you in the most beautiful and sweet words you will ever hear; and with much patience and care your angel will teach you How to speak."

Again the child asked, "What am I going to do when I want to talk to you?" God said, "Your angel will place your hands together and will teach you how to pray."

The child asked, "I’ve heard that on earth there are bad people; who will protect me?" God said, "Your angel will defend you even if it means risking its life."

The child then said, "But I will always be sad because I will not see you anymore." And God said, "Your angel will always talk to you about me and teach you the way to come back to me, even though I will always be next to you."

At that moment there was much peace in heaven, but voices could be heard and the child hurriedly asked, "God, if I am to leave now, please, tell me my angel’s name."

"Her name is not important, my child," said God. "You will simply call her MOM."


My mother was specifically chosen for me. It wasn't by random chance. She is the best mom that ever could have been chosen for me, and I am so glad and so thankful that she was chosen to be my 'angel.'

My mom has seen me through thick and thin my whole life. She put band-aids on my skinned knees. She combed the tangles out of my curly mess of hair (and eventually had it cut super short because it was getting unmanagable...I think I can forgive you finally mom :P) She brought my puppy to school, thereby making *ME* super cool for the day. She spent hours on making skating costumes for me. She made sure to buy and bring oranges when it was my turn to supply the snacks for my soccer team. She put up with my clarinet practicing. She bought me a beautiful dress for grade 7 grad - sophisticated but tasteful for a 12y/o girl. She took my hurtful words when I was angry. She soothed me when I was upset about being so far from my friends when we moved up north. She let me dye my hair. She taught me how to drive. She *let* me drive her car when I got my license. She hardly ever gripped the arm rest so hard she left nail marks in it....she did, however, use the 'phantom brake' a lot :p She tolerated me considering dropping out of high school in grade 12. She didn't lord it over me when I decided to stick it through.

My mother learned early on how to tell when I was getting a migraine, and was able to tell me to take my medication. So often I wouldn't be able to tell because it was already affecting my cognitive abilities, and her being there was, while not life saving, certainly more than just 'helpful' connotes. She took me to the doctor's when I got migraines that weren't controlled by medications, and to the hospital when it was too painful for demerol to work.

My mother was there for me last summer when I went into the hospital for my mental illness. She did everything she could to ensure I got the proper care and treatment. She fought for me and for my rights. She fought for HER right to be involved in my care when I wasn't in the right mind to make the right decisions. She read a book my friend Ana sent me about bi-polar disorder, and learned so much about the disorder and how to cope with and be there for a family member suffering from the illness. She was also there this past December when I was diagnosed with a tumor in my abdomen. She was strong for me when I couldn't be strong for myself. She looked after me after I had my surgery - cooking for me and making sure I had my pills on time. She helped me financially while I was off work.

My mother was strong for me, and my sister, when my father died in 1992. She taught me how to be a strong woman without being callous or hard. She taught me to be independant, to not rely on anyone else but yourself, but also to accept help when it is offered, and to accept it graciously. My mother taught me how to be a lady, how to be polite, how not to take myself too seriously. She taught me the value of sincerity and honesty. My mother taught me how to be a woman.

My mother is the best thing that ever happened to me, and I don't know where I'd be if it weren't for her loving guidance.

I LOVE YOU MOM

25 comments:

Leslie: said...

Thank you Jaclyn. You are MY angel that God put in my care and I would never trade you for anything in the whole world. I love you.

Jo said...

Jaclyn, that is the most beautiful thing I have ever read. It is worthy of being published in a magazine. Every mother would love to read this, but especially your mother. I know what a strong lady she is, and how lucky you are to have her as your Mom. God did indeed put you in good hands.

Michele said...

It is a beautiful post and I truly enjoyed reading your touching story. You are gifted in revealing your feelings and thoughts and it was a pleasure to share in your mother's day gift... you both are very lucky!
~Michele~

Linda said...

What beautiful words for your mother. Wonderful post and tribute.

Daryl said...

Just lovely .. so true.. so from the heart, your Mom is one in a million!

:-Daryl

RiverPoet said...

Jaclyn, I've been reading your mom's blog for quite a while. You are a girl to make a mother proud! I know that you just made every moment of her life WORTH IT!

My only daughter has bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder. The latter causes her to hate me most of the time and to act in ways that are detrimental to her survival. She excludes me from finding out anything about her condition or her care and she tells me only what she wants me to know. So I can do nothing but stand by and hope and pray. I hope that someday she is like you and can let me back in.

Peace - D

jmb said...

Every mother should be so lucky to have a daughter like you and every daughter should be so lucky to have a mother like yours.

Lovely post Jaclyn.

Ruth W. said...

your writing is excellent and am enjoying it very much. Welcome to the blogging world, you will meet lots of wonderful people this way, I sure have.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Jaclyn, what a lovely tribute to your wonderful Mum. [Sorry, I'm British - can't write "Mom"!]

MedStudentWife said...

*snif*.. golly.. I've never read a tribute to a Mom so well worded..

and kudos to you - through what you've been through, but also your gift of writing.

I look forward to reading more of what you write

nancygrayce said...

How blessed you and your mother are to have one another!

Suburbia said...

That is such a lovely post for your mum (who sent me!) She really is your angel.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Wow! That was so well written. You are blessed to have each other. Your mom sure is super.

Bobbie said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Mom!
You are a very gifted writer, and your Mom is so proud of you. You're both angels!

Anonymous said...

Our mom really is wonderful, and I hope to be just as good a mom to my own kids. Love you, sis!
Jamie

Liz Hinds said...

That is a truly wonderful piece of writing about your mom. And I know she is so grateful to have you.

Berit T said...

So beautiful!! And so lucy you are to have a mother!! My mother dies young, only 55 years, and I miss her so much.

photowannabe said...

Ok pass the hankies...this is just beautiful and so heartfelt. You are truley blessed to have a Mom like her.
Thank you for sharing with all of us.

Ruth L.~ said...

Like mother, like daughter. . . and then it becomes a cycle of love. And now another little one added to the mix. I'm so glad to meet you finally. I've heard so much about you from your mom.

Anonymous said...

I cannot add a word that betters any you have written. However, I would say God made each of you uniquely for each other. God Bless.

Trubes said...

Hello Jaclyn:
That was a most touching tribute to your dear Mama, you are so lucky to have each other and your lovely sister too.
God certainly blessed you when you were born, giving you such a wonderful family.
As you may gather, I am a big fan of your Mom's blog site and view it regularly.
I followed closely, your progress of recovery after your operation, although, I am not a deeply religious person, I prayed for you daily.

I hope you have a better year this year and you maintain good health and happiness.

Just going to read through more of your site and acquaint myself with
you.

Dragonstar said...

Your mother sent me over, and I'm glad I came. What a beautiful tribute! It tells me a lot about your mother's qualities, and it also tells me a lot about yours. You are both wonderful, caring women.

Cedar said...

Your Mother let you play the clarinet? She was not an Angel, she is a saint.

You do have a cool Mom, but still, the clarinet?

Anonymous said...

Hello JC - I've just read your Mom's blog and want to wish you a very Happy Birthday from a blogger in the UK!

heiresschild said...

Jaclyn, this is such a beautiful tribute to your Mother. someone mentioned this as being a noteworthy piece to be published in a magazine. i agree. it's an excellent and well-written piece.